Alistair Overeem tested positive for elevated testosterone at the surprise UFC 146 press conference drug screen last week. Overeem isn’t licensed in Nevada yet so he won’t be suspended or penalized but he can’t fight against Junior dos Santos without a license in that state. There are measures he can take before totally getting counted out of the fight such as request a hearing or get a B sample taken.
“I am beyond pissed about this,” UFC president Dana White said Wednesday in a conference call with Canadian media. “I’m so (expletive) mad right now I can’t even begin. The worst part is that he sat in front of us and lied to us,” said White. “How (expletive) stupid do you have to be? Seriously dumb. Anybody who’s using (performance-enhancing drugs) right now is an absolute (expletive) moron,” he said.
As it’s been a full day since the results of the drug test came in and we haven’t heard any excuse from Overeem on why he tested positive, it looks like he was abusing drugs to try to gain advantage in his next fight. As testosterone leaves your system quicker than steroids, Overeem obviously thought he can get away with it. But his decision was unfounded as he already knew beforehand that the commission was going to be giving him surprise drug tests…
There has already been speculation on if Overeem was using performance enhancing drugs and now that he has tested positive this sheds light on the shadows of his past and casts doubt on how many of his victories where “clean” wins. Although he hasn’t lost in his last 12 fights, things seem to be going seriously downhill for Overeem. Recently he has had legal issues with his ex-management team about breaking a contract and last week he was given a suspended 90 day county jail sentence plus 50 hours of community service with anger management for pushing a lady in the face. And now this drug fiasco…
Although the neither UFC nor Dana White could confirm any changes to the UFC 146 fight card, the outlook for Overeem fighting against JDS doesn’t look good. One person however who is optimistic about the situation is Frank Mir, “I would be excited if given the opportunity to compete for the UFC’s heavyweight title at UFC 146 if the reports released earlier today regarding Alistair Overeem failing his ‘A’ sample drug test are true. I have been fortunate to be able to fight in the UFC for more than a decade, and it is a dream of mine to become the first three-time heavyweight champion in the UFC. Being able to fight Junior Dos Santos would put me one step closer to that dream.”
Should Velasquez or Mir Fight dos Santos at UFC 146?
This is an easy question to answer. Frank Mir is on a 3 win streak having beat Mirko Cro Cop, Roy Nelson and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira respectively. He has the momentum going plus fan support and has PPV pull. Furthermore, Frank Mir has always won the title match after a 2 or 3 win streak and makes a great contender against JDS. Cain Velasquez just got done losing to JDS November last year and the fans don’t want to see a repeat. If that fight was closer than fans would want to see a rematch right away but the fact is that Velasquez lights went out 1:04 into the fight. So bring on Frank Mir…bring on the heavyweights!